Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Campagnolo Athena/Chorus Ergo blend project

Last year Campagnolo made some changes to their top 3 groups, Super Record, Record, and Chorus. Rebranded as "Revolution", they made some sweet mechanical and aesthetic modifications. I instantly fell in love with was the new shift hoods with the Campagnolo logo painted in white. Subtle, and so very nice. The 2015+ Campagnolo Revolution equipment is beautiful and functional, but also super expensive! The 2015 Chorus shifter and mechs run around $600. A bit out of my price range. However, the Athena powershift levers and rear mech is $200 shipped, and was well within my price range.
Recently I bought a pair of broken Chorus revolution shifters. I was able to salvage the levers and the hoods from the right shifter and transfer them to the Athena body. The left Chorus shifter turned out to be fine. Unlike most people, I like the feel of the Powershift system for the right shifter and I like the Ultrashift set up for the left. What was more intriguing is that the new style of hoods works perfectly for the pre 2015 shifters. I was told that you could not use the "Revolution" hoods on the older shifter bodies, but that is just not true.




I just learned from Jaegher that my Phantom frameset is due to ship out today.






No comments:

Post a Comment